How to get Pollution Board Certificate for heat treatment of steel including hardening & tempering using salt

pollution certificate for steel manufacturing


Steel is a versatile and essential material used in various industries, from construction to manufacturing. But have you ever wondered how steel is engineered to meet its ultimate purpose? One crucial step in the steel manufacturing process is heat treatment. Heat treatment involves a series of industrial, thermal, and metalworking processes that alter the physical and, sometimes, chemical properties of the material.

Book Free Advisory


What is Heat Treatment?

The heat treatment process includes heating or chilling the steel at normal to extreme temperatures to achieve the desired outcome, which can be anything from hardening to softening the material. Let's take a closer look at some of the different heat treatment processes used in steel manufacturing.

Different Heat Treatment Processes

a)  Annealing

Annealing is a heat treatment process that involves heating metals like aluminum, copper, steel, silver, or brass to a specific temperature, maintaining it at that temperature for a certain period, and then cooling it down slowly. The purpose of annealing is to improve the stability of the metal, making it less prone to cracking or fracturing during machining processes.

b)  Tempering

Tempering is a heat treatment technique used to increase the resilience of alloys like steel. Alloys are often too brittle to be useful in many applications due to their high hardness. Tempering helps to change the hardness, ductility, and strength of the metal, making it easier to machine. The metal is heated to a temperature below the critical point to reduce its brittleness while maintaining its hardness. By increasing the temperature, the metal's plasticity can be enhanced while sacrificing some of its hardness and strength.

Choosing already hardened materials or hardening them before machining is another option. While this may make machining more challenging, it reduces the risk of the part sizes changing, which can occur during post-machining heat treatment processes. Additionally, the need for a grinding shop to achieve tight finishes or tolerances is eliminated.

c)  Hardening

Hardening is a heat treatment process used to increase the strength of a metal. During the hardening process, the metal is heated to a temperature where its elements turn into a solution. Defects in the crystal lattice structure of the metal contribute to its plasticity. Heat treating the metal transforms those deficiencies, creating a solid solution with fine particles that strengthen the metal. Once the metal has reached the ideal temperature to produce a solid solution, it is quickly quenched to trap the particles in the solution. In precipitation hardening, impurity particles are introduced to the metal alloy to increase its strength.

d)  Normalizing

Normalizing is an annealing process used specifically for steel. It involves heating the steel to a temperature 150-200°F higher than in annealing and keeping it at that temperature for a sufficient time for transformation. Unlike annealing, steel treated with normalizing must be air-cooled. Normalizing helps improve machinability, ductility, and overall strength of the steel.

Now that we have discussed various heat treatment processes used in steel manufacturing, let's explore the important registrations and certificates necessary to set up a manufacturing facility for steel products.

a) Deciding on the status of legal identity

Any business requires a legal identity. Depending on available resources, goals, and requirements, you can establish the legal entity of your business as a partnership firm governed by the partnership act, a Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) governed by the LLP Act, or a private/public limited company governed by the Companies Act, 2013.

b)  DIC/SME/SSI Registration

While DIC registration for Small Scale Industry (SSI) units is not mandatory, it offers several benefits such as taxation advantages and access to loans. Initially, a provisional registration certificate is provided, which is later converted into a permanent registration certificate once the manufacturing operations commence. To qualify for MSME or SSI registration, the investment in plant and machinery should be below Rs.10 million. SSI registration can be obtained from the District Industries Centre (DIC).

c) Pollution License

Obtaining a pollution license is crucial for any business involved in activities that may generate pollutants or trade effluents. The State Pollution Control Board issues this license after evaluating the environmental impact of the business. The license is obtained in two stages: the consent to establish (obtained before commencing commercial activities) and the consent to operate (obtained after completing the necessary construction work). The Ministry of Environment Forest and Climate Change categorizes existing industries into different groups based on their environmental impact, ranging from red (high emissions, effluents, and hazardous waste) to green (low environmental impact). Steel treatment plants fall into the red category, making a pollution license mandatory. These plants are not permitted to operate in ecologically fragile or protected areas.

Several documents are required for obtaining the Certificate of Compliance (COC) or Certificate of Environmental Clearance (COE), including satellite imagery of the project location, project location layout, project report with details of the manufacturing process and raw materials, investment proof, environmental statement, NOC compliance report/consent conditions, certificate of completion of the effluent treatment plant or add-on pollution control, and compliance with environmental clearance criteria.

d) Ground water Abstraction NOC

If the business entity requires water for manufacturing processes or domestic usage, but the local Municipal Authority or Gram Panchayat cannot supply the necessary amount of water, the business may need to obtain permission for ground water abstraction. This permission can be obtained from the Central Ground Water Authority or the State Water Regulatory Authority.

e) Trademark Certificate

To establish a brand identity, obtaining a trademark certificate is crucial. Applicants must apply through the online portal, and the Registrar for Trademarks will assess the distinctiveness of the trademark before granting the registration certificate. Trademarks must be renewed every 10 years by paying the renewal fee.

f) Factory License

To obtain a factory license, an application must be submitted to the Office of the Directorate of Factories. The Area Inspector will conduct an inspection and ask for any document or may suggest a change in work flow to suit labour force. After which, the Factroy License is issued.

By complying with these registrations and certificates, you can establish a manufacturing facility for steel products in a legal and environmentally responsible manner. Ensure you follow the necessary procedures and requirements to ensure the smooth operation of your business.

In conclusion, heat treatment plays a crucial role in the engineering of steel, transforming it into the desired product with specific properties. Understanding different heat treatment processes and obtaining the necessary registrations and certificates for setting up a steel manufacturing facility are important steps to ensure the success and compliance of your business.

For more details, please visit

Book Free Advisory