How to get pollution board certificate for lead-acid batteries manufacturers?



The batteries using sponge lead and lead peroxide for converting chemical energy into electrical energy are known as lead-acid batteries. They are commonly used in power stations and substations due to their higher cell voltage and lower cost. They are also a great power source for modern vehicles requiring constant and uninterrupted energy sources. Aside from power stations and vehicles, clocks and alarms also use them. Therefore, starting a lead-acid battery manufacturing plant is a great business idea in contemporary times.


Book Free Advisory

How does this battery work?

Lead-acid batteries are a type of secondary battery and hence the chemical reactions occurring in lead-acid batteries are reversible. The reactants generating an electric current in these cells through chemical reaction can be regenerated by passing electricity through the battery. This is called recharging. The reverse chemical process of generating current from the battery via forwarding reaction is called discharging.

What are the important Registrations & Certificates are required to Setup Lead-Acid Battery Manufacturing Units?

a)    Deciding on the status of legal identity
A business needs an identity and hence it is necessary to provide a legal entity to the business as per available resources, goals, and requirements. If it is a partnership firm then it will be governed by the Partnership Act, if the business entity is an LLP i.e., Limited Liability partnership then the LLP Act will govern the existence of the venture and for a private or public limited company, the provisions of the Companies Act, 2013 will come into force. 
b)    DIC/SME/SSI Registration –
The District Industries Centre (DIC) registration of Small Scale Industrial (SSI) units is not mandatory but it is beneficial. Because this registration provides lots of benefits in taxation and loans etc. A provisional registration certificate is provided in the beginning and later when the manufacturing begins, a permanent registration certificate is issued. 
Only small-scale and ancillary units can go for MSME or SSI registration if the investment in plant and machinery is below Rs.1 crore.
Any industry not requiring an industrial license may apply as an SSI unit at DIC for Provisional Registration Certificate (PRC). Even the industries of Schedule II with employees below 50/100 may also apply for this registration which is valid for up to 5 years.
c)    Pollution Control Certificate from the State Pollution Control Board
A pollution control board certificate is a documentary proof which states that the State Pollution Control Board has accorded its permission/consent towards the establishment or operation of any potential business that may generate pollutants or trade effluents. Examples of ‘trade effluents include- chemical wastes, smoke emissions, flying ashes, etc. Usually, the State Pollution Control Board certificate is obtained in two stages. The first certificate is called as the consent to establish (CTE) and it is obtained before the commencement of commercial activities and the second certificate is called as the consent to operate (obtained after completing the construction and after issuance of CTE).

There are 2 consent certificates required for the license. The first one is consent to establish and is issued before the commercial operation begins, i.e. for constructing. The second license is for consent to operate and is issued after the construction work is complete and necessary for starting the commercial operation.

All existing industrial sectors are categorized into 4 groups by the Ministry of Environment Forest and Climate Change, i.e., red, orange, green, and white. carries out this classification.
Lead-acid battery manufacturing units come under the red category; hence pollution license is mandatory and will not be permitted to function in ecologically fragile or protected areas. The factories with a pollution index above 60 belong to the red category because they generate the highest number of emissions, effluents, and hazardous waste, and are the highest consumer of resources.
Following documents are required for obtaining CTE/CTO: a) satellite imagery of the project location, b) Project location layout, c) Project report containing details of the manufacturing process and raw materials, d) Investment Proof, e) Environmental statement, e) NOC Compliance report/Consent conditions, f) Certificate of completion of the effluent treatment plant or add-on pollution control, g) compliance with Environment clearance criteria.
For air consent/NOC: Specifications of air pollution control facility, diagram of monitoring facility, emission analysis report, compliance with air consent clauses
For authorization of chemical/hazardous waste: Incinerator details, details of hazardous wastes generated, compliance with hazardous waste authorization clauses.
Information on documents to be furnished for obtaining a CTE will be available on the website of the State Pollution Control Board. Failing to obtain a CTE/CTO or Pollution license, will attract 6 months to 1 year of imprisonment, which may extend up to 6 years with a fine.

Applying for A Pollution License:
Obtain NOC/CTE.
Apply with site details, plans for pollution control, and industry registration certificates to the state pollution control board’s regional officer. NOC may be obtained from regional officers.
Apply online by logging into the respective state’s pollution control board’s website.
d)    BIS Registration
BIS is the National Standard Body of India for standardizing, marking, and issuing the quality certificate of goods and for matters related therewith. For product, certification applications can be made via the portal of BIS. 
e)    Trademark
Trademark is necessary for creating a brand identity for which an application must be made through the online portal of Indian Trademarks & Patents Office. Depending on the distinctiveness of the mark, the Registrar for Trademarks might approve and issue the registration certificate. The trademark has to be renewed every 10 years by paying the renewal fee.
f)    Factory License
For acquiring the factory license, an application must be made to the Office of the Directorate of Factories.

Book Free Advisory