How to get Pollution Board license for food processing units?

How to get Pollution Board license for food processing units

Fruits are used to make jam, jelly, juice, ketchup and squash, all of which are edible. So far, the food processing sector has developed as a demand-driven industry and only around 1.5 percent of the country's fruits are being used by food processing industry. If promoted as a local resource-based industry, the food processing has the potential to grow significantly faster, especially given the rapid increase in exports of these items. In terms of fruit production, India is only second to Brazil. India produces a wide range of fruits and vegetables, not just in number but also in variety. Furthermore, our Country is on the verge of taking full advantage of a substantial portion of horticultural land in the shape of hill slopes. Fruit and vegetable production in the country requires transportation, storage and processing facilities. Currently, roughly 40% of Indian horticulture products are thrown away due to lack of these facilities. Juice squash Jam, Jelly and Marmalades can all be made from fruits. Making jam and jelly is, off course, a profitable business. Furthermore, an entrepreneur can start a food processing facility on a modest scale with minimum capital. The food processing business has recently gotten a lot of attention from policymakers. The current industrial policy in the food processing industry is also beneficial to the sector. India is the world's second-largest producer of fruits and vegetables and the Country's food processing sector is poised to grow sequentially in the next ten years. In the food processing business, ever-increasing consumer demands have created massive investment opportunities for foreign and private businesses.


Book Free Advisory

How to control trade effluent

The one issue with food processing industry is requirement and wastage of large quantities of water during production process. A firm can reduce up to 95% of wastage of water by implementation of good manufacturing practices.  Following measures can be adopted by the businessmen to reduce wastage of water:

  • Reduce the concentration of dirt and organics (including pesticides) in the wastewater by procuring clean and fresh fruits and vegetables.
  • To clean raw fruits and vegetables, use dry methods such as vibration or air jets. Dry peeling technologies reduce effluent volume by up to 35% and pollutant content by up to 25% reduction in organic load.
  • Processed waste water should be separated and recirculated.
  • When washing is required, use countercurrent systems.
  • Reduce the amount of waste water that needs to be treated by using steam instead of hot water (taking into consideration, however, the tradeoff with increased use of energy).
  • Reduce the amount of water used to clean floors and machinery.
  • Solid wastes can be removed without the use of water.
  • By-products can be made from concentrated waste water and solid wastes.

If you need information about how to apply for State Pollution Control Board Certificate for Milk Processing units, please click here. 

What are licenses and registrations required for processing unit of Jam, Jellies, vinegar and ketchup

  1. Set-up legal entity-   Give an identity to your firm by choosing any one of the options given below.
  1. Pollution certificate/NOC- Every business entity has the responsibility to get pollution certificate/NOC from concerned State Pollution Control Board (SPCB)/Pollution Control Committee (PCC). The following certificate comes under the purview of Pollution board in respect of above processing unit.
  2. Consent to Establish (CTE) - Every occupier needs to obtain Consent to Establish (CTE) for establishment of a unit from concerned State Pollution Control Board (SPCB)/Pollution Control Committee (PCC). Processing unit of Jam, jellies, vinegar and ketchup comes under orange category as per standard pollution index.
  3. Consent to Operate (CTO) - Before operating the unit, each occupant must get a Consent to Operate (CTO) certificate. It is provided by the authority for a period ranging from one to ten years, depending on the location and category of the business.

            What are the important documents and Information required to get Pollution Certificate/NOC

  • Pan card and UID of Authorized Person
  • Pan card of Unit
  • Project Report
  • Rent Agreement or Property Paper
  • Layout Plan
  • Udyog Aadhar/DIC certificate
  • Change of land use (if unit located on agricultural/residential land)
  • ETP and STP details
  • CA certificate on investment
  • Water usage
  • Air Pollution Control Equipment Details
  • DG set (if any)
  • Manufacturing Process
  • MOA and AOA/Partnership deed

In case you need information on how to get Pollution Control Board Certificate for Ice Cream Manufacturing, Please click here. 

What is the procedure to obtain Pollution certificate/NOC /Authorization      

  • Create user id and password
  • File an application through user id and password
  • Payment of govt fee
  • Inspection will conduct by concerned officer
  • ATR preparation by department
  • File sent for meeting or Regional officer or Head office as the case may be
  • Approved in meeting or by Regional officer or Head office as the case may be
  • Download certificate from Pollution control’s website
  1. DIC/SSI Registration
  • Any item that does not require an industrial license, such as those mentioned in Schedule-III and those not mentioned in Schedule-I or Schedule-II of the licensing Exemption Notification, can apply for a Provisional Registration Certificate (PRC). Even for those items specified in Schedule-II, units employing less than 50/100 workers with/without power can apply for registration.
  • The unit submits an application for PRC on the approved form. There is no field investigation and a PRC is issued.
  • The PRC is valid for a period of five years. If the entrepreneur is unable to open the business within this time frame, he can reapply at the conclusion of the five-year period.
  • The unit must apply for permanent registration on the appropriate form once it begins production.
  1. No-Objection Certificate from Central Ground Water Authority (CGWA) or State Ground Water Regulatory Authority

If the occupier is using ground water for his/her unit then, prior to the drilling of the bore well, every business enterprise must obtain approval from the Central Ground Water Authority or the respective State Ground Water Regulatory Authority. The Indian Parliament passed the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986, to control, monitor and manage pollution, as well as to protect the environment in the Union Territory of India. Under Section 3 (3) of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986, the Central Ground Water Authority was founded with the purpose of developing and maintaining all of India's water resources for future generations.

  1. Food Safety and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI) License

FSSAI stands for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. This authority ensures that all parties involved in the food industry, including those involved in food manufacturing, processing, storage, distribution, sale and import or export, adhere to a set of scientifically based standards and guidelines, ensuring that food products are hygienic, meet quality standards and can be safely consumed by humans.  To get more information about FSSAI license, please visit Metacorp

If you wish to know how to apply for FSSAI License for operations in multiple states, please click here. 

  1. Others Licenses/Registrations
  • Trademark
  • BIS
  • ISO

Book Free Advisory